Chronicling my experiences moving to a new city, and trying out what Chennai has to offer. Primarily focused on eating out in Chennai, though I will also probably cover some of my cooking experiments here. Special thanks to Kh for tolerating my food-related idiosyncrasies.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sandy's Chocolate Labs

This post will be a mix multiple visits, but my remaining ones should focus on a specific visit.

When I was introduced to Sandy's I loved it. They make absolutely great desserts, of which special mention should be made of:

- White Chocolate Cake: soft & sponge-like, creamy, and I love the sprinkle of cocoa powder. The latest time I had it, @ their Nungambakkam venue, they managed to mess it up, but were nice enough to admit that & take it back.

- Tiny Chocolate Cake (get it a la mode): It is *big*. And *yummy*. Love the icing!





- Bicerin: Wow-zer. Floored. Melted chocolate, coffee & cream. Coffee never tasted so good, and I lived in Seattle for 5 years. Here's a short explanation, from the NY Times

- De-constructed cheesecake: One doesn't get to often eat deconstructed food, and this cheesecake is quite brilliant. Again, go to the R.A. Puram venue for this; the newer venue doesn't seem to have quite nailed it.

- Happy Jack (& I don't normally like the combination of peanut butter & chocolate!)

Their breakfasts are also very good, judging from comments of meat-eaters. I love their pancakes & the little beakers they serve chocolate sauce & honey in.

Not-so-much:
Tres-leche
Xocolat [a lot of chocolate, even for me]
Vegetarian main courses: soups & pastas were both a miss for me. The menu changes often though, so maybe you'll find something. I once went with a friend who loved their fish dish (was it salmon? I don't remember very well now).
Pizza toast: Its good, but well.. average: tomato sauce & cheese. I expect Sandys to do something more with it.


Where: details can be found at http://sandys.co.in/

How much: Expect to pay Rs. 200 per person.
Ambience: Relaxed
Service: Friendly & fairly knowledgeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers